Dominican Republic: Sports Service Adventure
IMPORTANT: If you are 14 years old or younger at the time of your GLA program, then you will be required to travel as an unaccompanied minor. Read about these specific airline policies here.
Airport Choice One (Preferred):
- Fly into and out of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (Gregorio Luperon International Airport, airport code: POP)
- Please note: the Puerto Plata Airport is 55 minutes away from the home base.
- Arrive between 05:00 (5am) and 23:00 (11pm) on the day your program begins
- Depart between 05:00 (5am) and 23:00 (11pm) on the day your program ends
Airport Choice Two:
- Fly into and out of Santiago, Dominican Republic (Cibao International Airport, airport code: STI)
- Please note: the Santiago Airport is 2.5 hours away from the home base.
- GLA students should expect longer than average wait times at this airport, (up to 3 hours) as we may have to wait for other students to arrive. GLA students will remain supervised during this time.
- Arrive between 12:00 (12pm) and 19:00 (7pm) on the day your program begins
- Depart between 10:00 (10am) and 18:00 (6pm) on the day your program ends
The suggested route - usually the most direct, least number of stops, and always leaving from a US gateway airport. Often times, multiple students from the same program will be on this flight, simply because it is a popular route to take. We cannot guarantee that other students will be on this flight, but very often, there are. You do not have to take the suggested route, it is just one option. You may take any flight you wish that falls within the flight parameters above.
- American Airlines - Miami (MIA) to Puerto Plata (POP)
- American Airlines - Puerto Plata (POP) to Miami (MIA)
- Delta Airlines - New York (JFK) to Santiago (STI)
- Delta Airlines - Santiago (STI) to New York (JFK)
Suggested Route for Unaccompanied Minors
- Unaccompanied minors are able to travel on both of these options through American & Delta Airlines. Read more about unaccompanied minors here.
Recommended Travel Agency Partner
If you are looking for some guidance in booking flights, GLA has partnered with STA Travel in order to simplify the process. Regardless of how you plan on booking your flights, we recommend you speak with our travel agency partner first to ensure that you are getting the best deal and that you are booking the correct itinerary per GLA requirements and airline policy.
STA Travel - Work with a live agent. Submit an online form with your contact information to get started using STA Travel. After this form is completed, a live agent will reach out to you within 48 hours with flight options.
Please do NOT book your flight until your Travel Coordinator has given you the go ahead! This will come either in the email titled, "Welcome Aboard! Save this Email!" or in a subsequent email.