Mandarin Service Adventure
IMPORTANT: If you are 14 years old or younger at the time of your GLA program, then you will be required to travel as an unaccompanied minor. Read about these specific airline policies here.
- Fly into Kunming, China (Kunming Changshui International Airport, airport code KMG)
- Arrive between 6:00 (6am) and 20:00 (8pm) on the day your program begins
- Please note that you will commonly depart 1 day prior to your start date to arrive on your program start date.
- Fly out of Beijing, China (Beijing Capital International Airport, airport code: PEK)
- Depart after 10:00 (10am) on the day your program ends
- Special Note: The domestic flight from Kunming to Beijing only allows passengers to check 1 bag of 20 kilos (44 pounds) and carry on 1 bag under 5 kilos (11 pounds).
The suggested route - usually the most direct, with the least number of stops, always leaves from a US gateway airport. Often times, multiple students from the same program will be on this flight, simply because it is a popular route to take. We cannot guarantee that other students will be on this flight, but very often, there are. You do not have to take the suggested route, it is just one option. You may take any flight you wish that falls within the flight parameters above.
- Cathay Pacific - New York (JFK) to Hong Kong (HKG) to Kunming (KMG)
- Cathay Pacific - Peking (PEK) to Hong Kong (HKG) to New York (JFK)
- Cathay Pacific - Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) to Kunming (KMG)
- Cathay Pacific - Peking (PEK) to Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles (LAX)
Suggested Route for Unaccompanied Minors
- These flight routes cooperate with Cathay Pacific's UM policy. You are not required to make any special arrangements for your children aged 12 to under 18 years old when they travel. However, you can still register them as unaccompanied minors for a nominal fee if you would like us to take care of them for you. Read more about unaccompanied minors here.
Recommended Travel Agency Partner
If you are looking for some guidance in booking flights, GLA has partnered with STA Travel in order to simplify the process. Regardless of how you plan on booking your flights, we recommend you speak with our travel agency partner first to ensure that you are getting the best deal and that you are booking the correct itinerary per GLA requirements and airline policy.
STA Travel - Work with a live agent. Submit an online form with your contact information to get started using STA Travel. After this form is completed, a live agent will reach out to you within 48 hours with flight options.
Please do NOT book your flight until your Travel Coordinator has given you the go ahead! This will come either in the email titled, "Welcome Aboard! Save this Email!" or in a subsequent email.