In and Beyond the Classroom
IMPORTANT: If you are 14 years old or younger at the time of your GLA program, then you will be required to travel as an unaccompanied minor. Read about these specific airline policies here.
14 & 21-Day Programs
- Fly into and out of Chiang Mai, Thailand (Chiang Mai International Airport, airport code: CNX)
- Arrive between 5:00 (5am) and 23:00 (11:00pm) on the day your program begins
- Although you can arrive up until 11:00pm, we advise an earlier arrival, if possible.
- Depart between 5:00 (5am) and 23:00 (11:00pm) on the day your program ends
*Please note that if you are flying through Bangkok (BKK) to arrive in Chiang Mai (CNX), be sure to allow at least 3 hours to transfer flights, as students will go through customs at their first port of entry.
The suggested route - usually the most direct, with the least number of stops, always leaves from a US gateway airport. Often times, multiple students from the same program will be on this flight, simply because it is a popular route to take. We cannot guarantee that other students will be on this flight, but very often, there are. You do not have to take the suggested route, it is just one option. You may take any flight you wish that falls within the flight parameters above.
- Cathay Pacific - New York (JFK) to Hong Kong (HKG) to Chiang Mai (CNX)
- Cathay Pacific - Chiang Mai (CNX) to Hong Kong (HKG) to New York (JFK)
- Cathay Pacific - Los Angeles (LAX) to Hong Kong (HKG) to Chiang Mai (CNX)
- Cathay Pacific - Chiang Mai (CNX) to Hong Kong (HKG) to Los Angeles (LAX)
Suggested Route for Unaccompanied Minors
- Unaccompanied minors are able to travel on both of these options through Cathay Pacific. Read more about unaccompanied minors here.
Recommended Travel Agency Partners
If you are looking for some guidance in booking flights, GLA has partnered with two travel agencies in order to simplify the process. Regardless of how you plan on booking your flights, we recommend you speak to one or both of our travel agency partners first to ensure that you are getting the best deal and that you are booking the correct itinerary per GLA requirements and airline policy.
STA Travel - Work with a live agent. Submit an online form with your contact information to get started using STA Travel. After this form is completed, a live agent will reach out to you within 48 hours with flight options.
Smart Fares - Work with a live agent and/or see quotes online for different routes and airlines.
- ONLINE PORTAL: Click HERE to access SmartFares and GLA's web portal
- ONLINE BOOKINGS: Available 24/7
- CALL: 833-734-5277
- HOURS: Monday-Friday 8am - 6pm PST; Saturday 10am - 3pm PST
Please do NOT book your flight until your Travel Coordinator has given you the go ahead! This will come either in the email titled, "Welcome Aboard! Save this Email!" or in a subsequent email.